top of page


Flashes and floaters:

Retinal detachment:

Macular degeneration:


Hypertensive Retinopathy:

Vessel Occlusions

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) Toxicity Screening:




Q: What is the retina? What is the vitreous?

A: The retina is lining of issue located at the back of the eye. When light hits your retina, it sends specific signals (depending on the intensity of the light) through the optic nerve, to the brain. Then, the brain interprets these signals to help you detect color and lighting levels.


The vitreous is a gel substance that fills the eye, between the lens and the retina. 

Q: What is a retina specialist or an ophthalmologist? How does this differ from an optometrist?

A: An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor that is specialized in the eye, eye diseases, and vision. They can practice medicine and surgery in relation to those topics. 

A retina specialist is an ophthalmologist who has completed additional educational training to subspecialize in the vitreous and the retina.

An optometrist is someone who has their doctor of optometry, and are mainly focused on vision care. This includes the examination and treatment of vision (nearsightedness and farsightedness), as well as eye diseases and vision disorders.

Q: What are flashes? When do flashes occur? What do I need to look out for?


Q: What are the signs and symptoms of a retinal detachment?


Q: How does diabetes damage my vision (and retina)?


bottom of page